Monday 2 June 2014

Chicken and Sausage Kebabs

What a beautiful day we had today, definitely another BBQ dinner! Looking in the freezer I found 2 sausages and 2 small chicken breasts, perfect for the BBQ. Add the leftover cooked orzo, sweet peppers and feta cheese I had in the fridge and I was all set to go!


 I added some fresh herbs from my garden (basil, chives, parsley and rosemary), a yellow pepper and some fresh asparagus.





I started out by cubing the chicken (1" cubes) and marinading it in chopped rosemary, minced garlic, chili flakes, lemon zest and juice, olive oil and salt and pepper. Set that aside for half an hour.


Then I blanched the sausages in boiling water for a couple of minutes,  to make them easier to cut. Remove from the water and allow to cool to room temperature before cutting into 1" slices.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Thread the sausage and chicken pieces onto bamboo skewers. Place on a preheated grill and cook, turning occasionally, until cooked through.

For the orzo I decided to make a salad. I finely chopped parsley, basil and chives and added them to the orzo, together with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper, to taste.



I lightly oiled and grilled the red, yellow and orange peppers, diced them up and added them to the orzo, together with the feta cheese.




I added the asparagus, lightly oiled, and a couple of skewers of grape tomatoes to the BBQ halfway through cooking the skewers.






                                    A lovely, light dinner, eaten outside in the sun. Yummy!





1 comment:

  1. This was delish. Definitely a meal to have again this summer!

    ReplyDelete