As a follow up to my discussion of corn and it's various uses, I am posting one of our favourite side dishes, which uses both corn and zucchini. I serve it with soft goat cheese, which is spread on the pancake as you would do with butter.
I have also served them with a salad and grilled chicken and cherry tomatoes.
CORN AND ZUCCHINI PANCAKES
1 LARGE ZUCCHINI, GRATED
1 TABLESPOON BUTTER, OR OLIVE OIL
2 CUPS CORN KERNELS
1/3 CUP CORNMEAL
2/3 CUP FLOUR
1 TABLESPOONS SUGAR
1 1/2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
1 TEASPOON SALT
1/2 TEASPOON GROUND BLACK PEPPER
2 EGGS, BEATEN
2/3 CUP BUTTERMILK
- PLACE THE ZUCCHINI IN A COLANDER WITH A PINCH OF SALT AND ALLOW THE EXCESS WATER TO DRAIN. PRESS DOWN TO EXTRACT EXCESS WATER. SET ASIDE.
- HEAT THE BUTTER IN A PAN. COOK CORN UNTIL STARTING TO CARAMELIZE. SET ASIDE TO COOL.
- WHISK DRY INGREDIENTS TOGETHER IN A LARGE BOWL.
- STIR IN EGGS AND BUTTERMILK.
- STIR IN ZUCCHINI AND CORN.
- COOK PANCAKES IN A NON-STICK, PRE-HEATED PAN, UNTIL THE EDGES ARE SET, THE UNDERSIDE IS GOLDEN AND THE BUBBLES IN THE MIDDLE ARE POPPING. FLIP THEM OVER AND FINISH COOKING.
- SERVE WARM.